Why should you join our team?
YMCA Calgary is actively building healthy communities – Join us in creating a better Calgary
YMCA Calgary opened its doors in 1902, since then we have evolved into a vibrant charitable organization where thousands of children, youth and adults access our programs and facilities. We are much more than a gym, pool, and recreational facility – we strive to adapt to community needs, and ensure that our programs and facilities can be accessed by all who need them. YMCA Calgary staff firmly believe that they are creating a positive impact in the community through their work at the Y. In our work we deliver health and wellness programs, community outreach, aboriginal programs, newcomer programs, day and overnight camping, outdoor schools, leadership development, childcare, and much more.
We serve diverse community needs through the Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA, Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot, Shawnessy YMCA, South Health Campus YMCA, Community YMCA, Saddletowne YMCA, Remington YMCA, and Camp Chief Hector YMCA. The YMCA also operates a stand-alone childcare centre in Quarry Park to serve 348 children… and we are only just getting started. In partnership with the City of Calgary, we will expand our impact operating new facilities Shane Homes YMCA in Rocky Ridge and Seton. These amazing new spaces will help us reach more people through our passionate volunteers, members, and staff.
At YMCA Calgary we are passionate about our work and know that we are creating a positive impact in the community. Our staff feel welcomed from the first day they start and quickly feel a sense of belonging here at the Y. If you are looking to care deeply about your work, make the community a better place, and develop your leadership skills this is the place for you!
Teacher’s Convention / Spring Break Day Camp Counsellors
Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge
Melcor YMCA at Crowfoot
Gray Family Eau Claire YMCA
Salary: $108.80 /day
Start Date: February 2018
End Date: April 6th, 2018
Availability: February 15th & 16th (Teacher’s Convention) and/or March 26th-29th and/or April 2nd-6th (Spring Break).
Due to Camping Association Standards, counsellors must be 16 years of age or older.
YMCA Calgary also offers multiple other perks and benefits;
· Complimentary YMCA Calgary membership including a linked membership for dependent children.
· Ongoing leadership development and opportunities
· Leadership award opportunities
· Scholarship opportunities
· Paid recertification and training
What qualifications are we looking for?
At YMCA Calgary we strive to ensure our employees are a fit based on their strengths, interests, and future goals. The successful candidate will have the following;
· Interest in working with children
· Strong communication and teamwork skills
· Swimming ability required
· Previous YMCA daycamp or overnight camp experience preferred
· Current Standard First Aid and CPR C certification
· Evidence of a clear Police Information Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
· Three professional references
· Availability February 15th & 16th (Teacher’s Convention) and/or March 26th-29th and/or April 2nd-6th (Spring Break). SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES ARE AVAILABLE FOR ALL SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES.
What does this role look like at YMCA Calgary?
Spring Daycamp Counsellors will:
· Provide a fun, safe, and healthy environment for children registered in YMCA Calgary Daycamps
· Provide supervision and facilitate daily activities
· Work alongside other daycamp staff
· Plan and implement all aspects of the daily schedule within the provided curriculum, and encourage camper participation
· Enter the pool daily with campers
· Demonstrate and role model positive behavior when working with other staff, campers and members
· Follow YMCA Calgary Policies and Procedures
· Provide first aid when required
· Greet parents and campers on arrival and departure from camp. Providing extra assistance as needed.
· Attend mandatory staff training prior to camp and all weekly staff meetings
What qualities do we look for in YMCA Calgary Staff and Volunteers?
Our staff model and are committed to the following competencies;
Developing Self and Others: Developing people with a view toward present and future capacity.
Building Purposeful Relationships: Relating to people authentically with their best in mind.
Creating a Culture of Community: Gathering people to purpose and vision.
Making Intentional Impact: Intending to make a difference every day.
Thinking and Acting Strategically: Applying thoughts, words, and actions in service to the vision.
Applying Business Acumen: Demonstrating excellence in technical skills and stewarding the YMCA Business Model.
Innovating: Ability to know your environment, initiate and respond effectively to changing conditions.
Interested? It’s easy to apply!
Please send a resume and cover letter to our website at ymcacalgary.org/careers-volunteers/
YMCA Calgary is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants must have legal authorization to work in Canada by way of Canadian Citizenship, Permanent Residency or a valid Canadian work permit. YMCA Calgary is currently not engaged in international recruitment efforts as we are required to demonstrate that we have exhausted all means of recruitment both locally and nationally.
Potential candidates will only be contacted if selected for an interview.
For any concerns or questions please contact Kathryn Haist, Manager, Recruitment and Development.