Location: 308-4th Avenue, SW, Calgary, Alberta, T2P 0H7
Number of positions: 1
Position Type: Permanent
As outlined in the Bank’s staffing guidelines, you must review your eligibility and obtain approval from your manager before applying for this position. If you are currently on a temporary assignment, you must obtain approval from both your current and home position managers.
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada’s economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
The Financial Markets Department (FMD) policy and market operations teams support the Bank’s monetary policy and financial system mandate. While the market and banking operations are based primarily in Ottawa, the Bank is in the process of establishing a new alternative site for its operations in Calgary, in accordance with resilience best practices. FMD is currently seeking a Trader Associate for the Market Analysis and Operations (MAO) Team for its Calgary site.
This position will require initial training in Ottawa for a period of up to 9 months, with periodic travel between the two sites. Relocation and travel expenses will be provided in accordance with the Bank’s travel and relocation policies.
The MAO division is responsible for analyzing domestic and foreign financial markets, providing policy advice relating to domestic operations and for conducting market operations on behalf of the Bank of Canada and the Government of Canada. The MAO team is organized into trading desks that focus on the team’s primary responsibilities: money markets, bonds and foreign exchange. The foreign exchange desk is focused on fulfilling the foreign exchange needs of the Bank and the government. The money markets and bond desks implement monetary policy, acquire assets for the Bank’s balance sheet, support the functioning of the government bond market in Canada, and execute the federal government’s debt strategy. The market analysis function includes providing frequent oral and written briefings, to senior management, on developments in the Canadian fixed-income market, as well as in global foreign exchange, commodity, equity, and emerging markets.
Your future responsibilities
As a Trader Associate, you will provide operational, analytic, and technical support for financial market operations conducted by the Bank of Canada. These operations aim to achieve the Bank’s objectives for monetary policy, financial stability, funds management and market well-functioning. Operational support consists of carrying out financial operations such as overnight and term repos and securities lending under the supervision of Trader Analysts and Principal Trader Analysts. Analytic support includes creation and interpretation of trading and portfolio reports as well as analysis of relevant market developments. You will analyze operational activities for insight purposes as well as for financial and operational risk management purposes. Technical support involves creation and maintenance of trading tools such as reports, spreadsheets and relevant IT systems. You will work closely with your colleagues to identify and implement operational changes, including system testing, documenting procedures and identifying opportunities for improvements.
Your education and experience
- bachelors degree in finance or economics and a minimum of two years of relevant experience in a financial firm
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
Your knowledge and skills
- experience in collecting, organizing and manipulating financial data
- strong time-management skills and attention to detail, as most activities must be completed each day respecting specific deadlines
- strong communication and problem-solving skills, as some financial market operations have a highly visible external profile
- ability to adapt, design or develop programs and scripts to aid in the analysis of data and the conduct of operations
- investigative skills to answer a variety of enquiries from internal and external clients
- relationship-building skills to make sure both service quality standards and the needs of internal and external clients are continuously met
- ability seek colleagues’ views and to partner with others to complete the work
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- familiarity with the Canadian financial system and central banking
- good communication skills in second official language
- knowledge of financial market issues and developments, as well as knowledge of economic and financial theory and quantitative methods
- experience working with portfolio information systems and providing trading support
- experience with Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, VBA and MATLAB
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $59,633 to $73,665 (job grade 14)
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension plan
As one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we offer you a superior work environment that allows you to reach your full potential both professionally and personally. We make career growth and professional development a priority. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environments that support a diverse workforce. If you require accommodation measures during any aspect of the recruitment process, we will work with you to address your needs. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated as confidential.
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Must be eligible for secret clearance
- Relocation assistance will be provided in accordance with Bank policy
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.