Job Title: Developer, Trading Room/Market Data Management (Req.#242)
Developer, Trading Room/Market Data Management
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very center of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Department delivers a secure, reliable, best-in-class technical environment—providing systems that enable the Bank to carry out its core functions and facilitate billions of dollars’ worth of daily electronic financial transactions. While ITS operations are primarily based in Ottawa, the Bank is in the process of establishing a new alternate site for its operations in Calgary, in accordance with resilience best practices. ITS is currently seeking a Senior Developer & an Intermediate Developer, Trading Room/Market Data Management (MDM) for the Business Applications Services teams for the Currency and Analytic Environment Portfolio and the Financial Markets and Banking Operations Portfolio at the Calgary site. These positions will require initial training in Ottawa for a period of up to 8 months, with periodic travel between the two sites. Relocation and travel will be provided in accordance with the Bank’s travel and relocation policies.
As an MDM Developer, you will participate in the support and maintenance of the application platform (IHS Markit EDM) as well as participate in the design and implementation of high quality code releases. Additionally, while providing Trading Room Support, your main responsibilities are to perform in-depth analysis to support the Trading Room and Analytic applications, and to provide troubleshooting support for new and existing applications. You will be required to collaborate with vendors, clients and colleagues and apply software lifecycle management principles, as well as identify user requirements, assess available technologies and recommend best solutions to meet client needs.
Your future responsibilities
- support the design, development, testing, deployment and interfaces between various internal hardware and software
- participate in peer reviews of solution designs and related code
- ensure that changes are validated, tracked and released in a controlled manner
- prioritize and complete projects/tasks to meet deadlines
- respond to trouble tickets submitted by service clients, including triage and resolution of technical and application problems
- monitor application performance for potential bottlenecks, working collaboratively with the team to identify potential solutions
- participate in all phases of the software development methodology cycle to support the Portfolio IT solutions
- support users’ acceptance of upgrades to existing applications
- develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external counterparts (partners, clients and suppliers) to support operational objectives
- support the performance of functional and basic technical analysis, including finding the root cause and handling communications with users
- help create working procedures and documentation of solutions
- populate knowledge databases, testing plans and results
Your education and experience
- Intermediate Developer: bachelor’s degree or three-year college diploma in computer science, software development or a relevant field and a minimum of 4 years of experience in an Agile and DevOps environment
- Senior Developer: bachelor’s degree or three-year college diploma in computer science, software development or a relevant field and a minimum of 6 years of experience in an Agile and DevOps environment
- an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- ability to communicate effectively in both official languages
- exposure with and knowledge of automation tools (e.g. Jenkins, Selenium)
- experience using Extract, Transform and Load Software Tools
- experience with and strong understanding of versioning control systems
Your knowledge and skills
- familiarity with object oriented programing and scripting languages such as VBA, PowerShell, Python, etc.
- strong knowledge in SQL
- ability to quickly learn new concepts and software as necessary; you are consistently motivated to learn new technologies and deliver software that people need
- ability to handle multiple clients and multiple team members with confidence; you apply agile methods and lean thinking and work to get things done
- knowledge of Test Driven Development to help you develop clean and maintainable code that stands up to scrutiny
- ability to adapt quickly to a changing environment; you embrace change and are always seeking ways to improve
- excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills; you are inspired by working closely with your teammates in cross-functional teams to build and support valuable software that delivers a great user experience
- familiarity with software development life cycle activities, particularly the analysis, design, building and implementation phases
- demonstrated delivery of small- to medium-scale, relatively complex applications
- solid analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound decisions when giving advice or making recommendations
- ability to obtain co-operation from others to achieve common goals
- demonstrated experience in setting priorities, monitoring projects and initiatives and ensuring follow-through
English or French essential
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $79,887 to $93,201 (job grade 16).
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $84,968 to $104,960 (job grade 17).
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (7 to 10% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (15% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
Additional Benefit Information
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Indexed, defined-benefit pension plan
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required: Secret
- Relocation assistance will be provided in accordance with Bank policy
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.