As outlined in the Recruitment Policy, check your eligibility before you apply. For employees currently on a temporary assignment, you must obtain approval from your current and your home-position leader. Term or short-term employees, you must obtain approval from your leader if you are applying for a position 3 months or more before the end of your term.
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada’s economy, in an organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
About the position
The Funds Management and Banking Department (FBD) oversees the funding and investment of Canada’s foreign exchange reserves, the management of the federal government’s retail and wholesale debt programs and the Bank of Canada’s pension fund. FBD also manages the financial risk associated with funds-management activities and provides back-office payment and settlement services. While the market and banking operations are primarily based in Ottawa, the Bank is in the process of establishing a new alternate site for its operations in Calgary, in accordance with resilience best practices. FBD is currently seeking a Business Support Analyst for the Support for Operations Systems Division for its Calgary site. This position will require initial training in Ottawa for a period of up to 9 months, with periodic travel between the two sites. Relocation and travel will be provided in accordance with the Bank’s travel and relocation policies.
Under the direction of the Support for Operations Systems (SOS) Manager, the Business Support Analyst (BSA) is responsible for delivering first-level business support to the Payment and Settlement Operations for end-user applications and automated systems on a variety of platforms and operating systems. This support ranges from answering application-related questions to contributing to the resolution of incidents and performing application testing.
Your future responsibilities
You will assess, analyze, manage, resolve or redirect application and system support requests. You will use your expertise to perform validation and integration testing on a wide variety of banking applications and platforms and you will participate in prioritizing enhancements and fixes to be included in future releases. You will configure, test, administer and maintain the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) system. You will also play a key role in contributing to improvements to support processes, documentation and tools that are key to the team’s business. You will act as the liaison between the business line and the Information Technology Services (ITS) groups. You will have frequent interactions with the ITS groups and you will serve as the primary point of contact for certain applications and systems during system changes, upgrades or as part of development projects.
Your knowledge and skills
You have well-developed analytical skills and are methodical in your problem-solving approach. You have the ability to gather information to make sound decisions and recommend appropriate solutions. You learn and adapt quickly to new business needs and you have the ability to assimilate technical information that will help you determine impacts to the current environment. Your excellent planning and organizational skills enable you to meet deadlines while performing multiple tasks concurrently. You collaborate and communicate with technical specialists, so your solid interpersonal skills and strong client-service orientation are essential.
Language requirement: English essential or Bilingual (English and French) (although the position requires a Level 5 (fully functional) in the second official language, selected candidates may receive training to reach the required level over time)
• knowledge of structured analysis techniques and development tools as applied to business processes, automated systems and workflow analysis
• knowledge of Canada’s financial system
• awareness of server, desktop and networking technologies and their relationships with business systems
• knowledge of the Bank’s information technology and security standards
• experience performing validation and integration testing
• working knowledge of Unix basic commands
Your education and experience
• a college diploma in business, computer science or management information systems with three years of experience supporting business applications and/or banking-related business
• a university degree in business, computer science or management information systems with two years of experience supporting business applications and/or banking-related business
• an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
• Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
• Must be eligible for secret clearance
• Relocation assistance will be provided in accordance with Bank policy
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
• Starting salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $63,141 to $73,665 (job grade 14)
• Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting (5 to 7% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (10% of your base salary). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
• Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health, dental, disability and life and/or accident insurance coverage that meets your needs
• Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
• Indexed, defined-benefit pension plan
As one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we offer you a superior work environment that allows you to reach your full potential both professionally and personally. We make career growth and professional development a priority. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes, and work environments that support a diverse workforce. If you require accommodation measures during any aspect of the recruitment process, we will work with you to address your needs. Information related to accommodation measures will be treated as confidential.
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here